The successful candidate will be self-motivated, detail-oriented, creative and focused on providing exceptional service to their customers.
The Database Developer will focus primarily on database intensive processes and applications. However, flexibility is a key attribute that a successful candidate must possess and therefore, they must be willing and interested in development projects which apply varying technologies and which may not be database focused. In addition, the successful candidate may be asked to perform some project management responsibilities from time to time. This would include the responsibility for his/her own output, as well as the productivity of their associated project teams.
This role requires a versatile, energetic, and tenacious individual, who has a keen sense for quality and urgency. It represents an excellent opportunity to showcase your balance of multi-tiered, distributed web and programming skills as well as your process/project/documentation management capabilities.
- SQL/C#.net/ASP.net/Active Reports, Programming and Web Development
- Build, maintain, and integrate (internally and with 3rd parties) applications that allow us to grow and optimize our Productivity Platform
- Code, and test components of applications based on technical specifications
- May occasionally be asked to contribute the creation of technical specifications
- Unit test, install, and debug reporting software and determine changes required to existing applications/interfaces
- Develop prototypes, participate in iterative design and development activities
- Database-related development including creation of SQL scripts, functions, stored procedures, etc.
- Develop, maintain, implement and support software applications that automate operational processes
- Practice disciplined code management and deployment packaging
- Take ownership of modules developed and maintain an exceptional level of documentation to facilitate troubleshooting by third parties
- Accurately log and account for all work hours expended per project and keep updated in a proactive and timely fashion
- Respond to Production issues with a sense of urgency as escalated by the Production team
- A degree or diploma in a technology discipline or mathematics is preferred
- Minimum 5 years experience as a Developer / Analyst employing the following technologies
- Languages: SQL, C#.net, ASP.net, XML
- Reporting: Active Reports, Crystal Reports, Telerik Controls, Dundas Controls, MS DTS, MSSSIS
- Minimum 5 years experience with advanced database development. This should include
- Hands on (not theoretical) knowledge of MS SQL 2000 and/or 2005
- Batch scripting
- Strong understanding of DTS/SSIS/ETL processes
- Demonstrable experience researching technologies and recommending creative solutions to business problems
- Demonstrable experience in researching, building and testing database intensive processes which are highly scalable
- Additional, preferred qualifications:
- Experience with mid to high-end business intelligence tools such as Business Objects, Cognos or Data Beacon
- Security certifications (secure coding, CISSP, MCSA+security)
- The ability to manage many projects simultaneously and meet deadlines within a high energy, fast paced and evolving environment
- Extremely thorough organization skills and a keen sense of priority
- An ability to research different technologies, organize thoughts, formulate opinions, and communicate results
- Strong listening skills
- The ability to grasp and communicate technical issues to a variety of audiences
- A passion for superb product delivery and customer service and an appreciation for the need for a positive end-user experience
- Experience within the retail brokerage / financial services industry and/or familiarity with financial data and applications is a bonus
Expected Corporate Standards
- Approach work in a collaborative manner: offer expertise readily and assist team members in accomplishing individual and collective tasks,
- Display initiative around their training and that of others, and actively pursue professional development opportunities,
- Offer and respond to feedback in a constructive manner,
- Think critically and be open to new approaches and ‘better ways’ – avoid taking the path of least resistance,
- Challenge our Clients, their colleagues, and themselves in the interest of making them more successful,
- Respond to business demands with urgency, and be calm and reasoned during pressure and crises,
- Exhibit pride and ownership in the quality of our services and products,
- Have personal respect for their colleagues and professional respect for everyone’s role in our success,
- Represent the firm to Clients, prospects, vendors and candidates professionally,
- Treat Client information, and information about our businesses, in confidence,
- Communicate clearly in English.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.